2009 Bastille Days w/niece

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ran further than I have ever run before

So today to commemorate my 2 year weight loss anniversary I thought I would run further than I have ever run before. After all that is how I lost the weight - by continually trying to outdo myself and do just a little bit better each day.

Now was this such a good idea??? I am not so sure. My last 13 miler was a month ago. The last 3 weeks my long runs were 11 miles, 6 miles, and 7 miles so it has been a few weeks since I did any real distance. My half marathon training program had me at 9 miles today so what is another 5 more - no big deal. Well towards the end my legs were getting sore and felt like they could go no further and I really started to wonder if this was a good idea but I was determined to finish it and finish it I did. My time was pretty slow average 11:07 min miles and that is really slow for me especially since it was on an indoor track so no hills or wind or anything like that. I really wanted to run outside today but things were not working out for me. I had meetings all morning long and then had to drive Mike back and forth to work in the afternoon. I was hoping to run while Mike was at work but by the time I got everything ready to run I knew I would not have enough time to do 14 miles so I put it off until the evening. Since I don't run outside at night and the gym closes at 7 on Sat I opted to run at the Pettit. I have not ran there since the half marathon a month ago. I must admit I like it there. A cool 50 degrees plus I get to watch the ice skaters and a little hockey - although it is pretty hard to watch the hockey.

I knew running 14 miles doing laps would be hard. The last time I had a crowd of people cheering me on plus other runners and that really helps me get through it. Today I just had my music so I thought I needed something else to help me get through the miles. I decided I would dedicate each mile to DM friends - but how to pick which 14. Coincidentally 14 people posted comments on my transformation pictures this week so I used those 14 people and dedicated the miles in the order that those people commented. So here is a breakdown of the miles.

Mile 1 - Runfasterdaddy - thought about you and the stroller and that cute picture your daughter drew.
Mile 2 - Gavin T - Thought was wow Australia that would be a great place to run a marathon.
Mile 3 - Randy M - Felt bad about the foot and thought this mile is run since you cannot right now. Also spent some time praying for our pastor and our church as well as all my DM friends (actually did this on and off throughout the whole run.)
Mile 4 - Colin H - Was thinking wow you put in amazing miles. I don't know how you run almost every day. Also started thinking about those nasty painful green inserts and hope things go better for your knee.
Mile 5 - Jeremy F - You had said in your comment on my transformation pictures congrats on your half and I thought how appropriate since I am running the same track as my half. I started remembering how nice it was to run the half and pictured the people cheering and watching the speed skaters.
Mile 6 - Brendan M - You said in the comment on my pictures that you think of me often and I am an inspiration. Tried figuring out what that means but thanks. Then I was thinking about your run and wet socks and was really glad that I was running indoors in a perfect 50 degrees. You have had some terrible weather to run in. I am such a wimp when it comes to that but I really did not care today. Much better than ice or puddles.
Mile 7 - Jason B - Thought about your saying live life don't endure it. Then I was thinking I did not get a chance to see how the coastal challenge went for you. I hope it went well and was glad you got the last good run in to get your mind back into it.
Mile 8 - Meg H - I was thinking you did 9 miles today and that was my scheduled run. I was thinking maybe I should stop at 9 but I was still feeling great so nope I wanted to finish the 14.
Mile 9 - Kristina T - You said I had lots of will and strength and I was thinking I sure do. That will power has gotten me through a lot.
Mile 10 - Samantha - I was thinking about the kickboxing and how much I like doing that. Even threw some small air punches while running. Must have looked pretty funny. Thought about kicking the bag when I got home.
Mile 11 - For my H. - This is where my legs started to hurt and I was thinking how appropriate. My legs would start to feel a little sore on the mile dedicated to the new runner. I was thinking about how your shoe shopping was going and hoping that you would take it slow and easy and enjoy it.
Mile 12 - Anne - Was thinking about your transformation also and how much work you put in. My legs started feeling better for a while. And I was starting to think I only have two more miles to go.
Mile 13 - Brandon W. - I really wanted to quit on this mile. Leg pain came back but I thought of all people I cannot quit on Brandon. I started thinking about the hard runs you have done and decided to just keep putting one foot in front of the other but this was turning out to be the longest mile ever. Sure enough when I was finished I went back through my lap timers and I had missed hitting the button on a lap so it really was the longest mile ever. (This track has 3.6 laps to a mile.)
Mile 14 - Sally S. At this point I just wanted to be done and figured it was my last mile so I could endure it. My pace slowed dramatically and I thought of getting passed by a guy in a chicken costume - that would be funny to see. And I was just counting those last agonizing laps - hoping I would finish before the Pettit closed.

Oh yeah the song that has gotten me through so many runs came on toward the end of Mile 13 so I just hit repeat and played it a few times. "Its On" by Superchick. The lyrics to the end of the song are what do it for me.

"And though you want to quit
Don't think you can get through it
You've come to far to walk away
It's not gonna be today

And no matter how you feel
It's that you do that matters
This is your moment to be strong
Today's your day
It's On..."

I just love that. It totally helps me get through when I want to quit.

Total actually ran 14.3 miles in 2 hours and 39 min.

So since this strategy worked well I am thinking I will do the same for actually running my marathon in October. I have a long time to decide who to dedicate miles to but I know who will get the last 1.2 miles and get me across the finish line. That would be my brother Michael (or Monkey as we call him). In Dec 08 one week before Christmas he was diagnosed with Acute Leukemia. He had to spend one month in the hospital and could have very few visitors and the few that were allowed had to be completely healthy so I visited him for hours almost every day. It was so hard to see. I think what was the worst for him - well besides the treatments - was that he could not see his daughter. (She is the one I am holding in the picture at the top of my blog page). It has been a rough year but the leukemia did go into remission. He still needs to take the cancer pills but currently cannot do that since his body function counts are all way too low (liver, kidneys, etc.) I love my brother dearly and we are really close. What hurts the most is that he has not accepted Christ and I cannot bear it if he would die like this. I pray for him daily and really hope he comes around. Anyways I know my last mile of the marathon will be dedicated to him so now I have to finish it. Although with as hard as 14 was today I wonder if 26.2 will be possible. But I know from experience with what I have done so far that if I take it slow and gradually increase my body will get used to it and I will be able to do it. And my training for the marathon will not technically start until May or June.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! That's a good strategy. I've certainly found lots of knowledge, inspiration and encouragement from the online running community. Not sure I'd still be out there as much (or as uninjured) as I am without it! Great job, Jorie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you CAN absolutely run a marathon - you have the requisite mental toughness, which is what is most necessary. You will rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jorie - you are going to bust this Chicago Marathon. I agree with Colin - nice run strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much...i think often of you when i run too. running indoors is a mental game x100. lol

    ReplyDelete